[Mediawiki-l] managing users rights

Marco Ferretti marco.ferretti at fermasoft.com
Mon Jul 23 20:59:20 UTC 2007

Hello all,

this is my first post, forgive me if this is not the right
place & please direct me to the right one.

I am in the process of moving documentation to mediawiki and
would, basically, create three groups :

1- Admins ( can do anything )
2- Editors ( can edit anything )
3- Contributors ( can read *most* of the pages + edit all
they can see + submit new documents but Editors must approve
)
4- Readers ( can read the same pages as Contributors )

I have already a bunch of documents ( 900 more & less ) that
I have already *converted* to the wikimedia format . Now,
what I would like to do is to flag the documents so that
they can be classified using the 4 steps above.

I am currently using version 1.6 ( well, it is the DEV one
so I can upgrade if necessary) .
Surfing the documentation I have read about
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Group_Based_Access_Control
and that version 1.10 has a new table ( page restrictions
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Page_restrictions_table ) .
Is there any other way to achieve what I need ? If yes, can
you please point me somewhere ? If no, considering that I
will be tagging the pages programatically ( I wouldn't want
to manually edit 900 pages ), what would be the best
solution for my problem ?

TIA

Marco