[Mediawiki-l] PHP code to create/edit pages/sections

Kelly Jones kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 01:33:38 UTC 2007

I want to write PHP code for a MediaWiki I own (I have command-line +
admin access) that:

% Checks if a given article exists, and creates it if not.

% Checks if a given section exists in an article, and creates it if not.

% Edits a given section in a given article.

I want the edit to be done just as if a user had gone in and edited
the page: it should create a history entry, update all the appropriate
tables, update the page in the cache, etc.

Can I use MediaWiki's PHP functions/libraries to do this?

I realize I can use wget/curl/lynx/elinks to do this, but was looking
for something more "internal".

On a related note, does MediaWiki come w/ any maintenance tools? Examples:

% Auto-fix all double redirects (if X -> Y -> Z, just edit X to
redirect directly to Z).

% Find all instances of certain words (eg, spam), and revert to the
previous version of each page that contains those words (crude
anti-vandalism tool). Delete pages where there is no previous version.

% For commonly misspelled articles, find all instances of [[wrong
spelling]] and change them to [[correct spelling]] (redirecting "wrong
spelling" to "right spelling" sort of works, but it still leaves the
link misspelled on many pages)

I realize SQL queries can do some of this, but they won't update the
history, won't handle caching issues properly, etc. I'm looking for
something that works within MediaWiki's framework, not an outside
hack.