[Mediawiki-l] how to get this in mediawiki

Florian Käutner florian.kaeutner at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 19 12:31:01 UTC 2007

Hey Maurizio,

On 7/17/07, Maurizio Vitale <maurizio.vitale at polymath-solutions.com> wrote:
> - is this what people use to wrap entire paragraphs potentially with
> mediawiki markup?
>    I can see two ways:
>         - one template with a very long argument (like the chess position
> example)
>          - two templates, one providing the header and one providing
> the trailer
>    Which is more common?

Depends on your style, I suppose. And on what you need templates for.
I'm admin on Memory Alpha (German version), which is a Star Trek wiki,
forming an encyclopedia. We're linking to Episodes very often and in
order to have those links uniform and standardized, we'll use
templates.

-> instead of linking [[TNG]]: ''[[All Good Things...]]'' there is a
template named "TNG" which is doing the formating job and also may
link to more episodes. Looks like {{TNG|All Good Things...|Encounter
at Farpoint}}

That is a very complex template, which in fact doesn't work properly
after MediaWiki 1.10. See http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Template:TNG

Another very common use of templates is just to have a message on an
article for "text in work", articles which will be deleted or just
incomplete articles. Most of the will work without parameter and those
messages are much like the template you found before.

A major benefit of using templates is, that you can lookup articles
with certain template very quick, to see all articles, which shall be
deleted. Besides the benefit to create a graphical intense template
just once and changes in a template will change all instances of a
certain template.

> - is there a collection of useful templates somewhere? I can find
> extensions, but not templates.

For more information and a bunch of templates, see
* http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Help:Template
** http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Memory_Alpha:Message_templates
** http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Memory_Alpha:Navigational_templates
** http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Memory_Alpha:Sidebar_templates