[Mediawiki-l] ProtectSection update && New C Style WIki Includes Extension

Dantman dan_the_man at telus.net
Wed Jul 18 21:33:57 UTC 2007

I should've noted it before but there are 2 newthings/updates.

There was a bug in the ProtectSection extension. One line caused a PHP
error which stopped people without permissions from using the newsection
ability. I modified the code on
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ProtectSection to fix it. I also
switched it to use of Source instead of pre because people who were
copying it from the page instead of from the edit box ended up with a
bug which made the <protect></protect> tags not stripped out from the
page display.

I also created an extension for external includes. It was inspired of an
amusing userpage, but it allows for something I haven't seen before,
WikiText includes. Meaning that you can use an include on the raw output
of a page, and have the WikiText included and parsed locally (Scary
Transclusions are parsed remotely).
I'm considering extending the extension later on to accept interwiki
links or some other type of links. But for now it just does urls. To
protect from XSS attacks the HTML includes can only be added by those
with proper permissions. I'll thank the ProtectSection extension for
showing me how to let those with permission add and modify it, while
disallowing users without it from adding or modifying them but still
letting them edit the actual page.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:C_Style_Wiki_Includes

--
~Daniel Friesen(Dantman) of The Gaiapedia, Wikia Graphical Entertainment Project, and Wiki-Tools.com