[Mediawiki-l] Authorization by the moderator

Javier Bezos jbezos at fundeu.es
Thu Jul 12 08:14:05 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I've just subscribed to this list and I have a couple of
question about a modification I've done to MediaWiki.
I've searched the archive and reading the FAQ but I've
found no answer. (I'm new to MediaWiki.)

I'd like to grant permissions to edit articles only to
people who fulfil some requirements. So, they'll have
to fill an additional field which I'll read (with my
eyes, I mean :-)) so that I decide who can edit. This
can be accomplished easily by allowing editing to the
emailconfirmed group only, and sending the e-mail
confirmation to me with a reply-to to the user (thus
I read the message which includes the additional
field, and if it's OK I just reply the e-mail, so
that the address can be confirmed by the user). Well,
these changes are trivial... provided they are made
in the original files (User.php, amongst them).
However I don't like to modify the files but rather
add the changes as an extension or similar.

Can that be done easily? (I found an extension to make
custom login forms, but the preferences one has to be
modified, too). Where can I find further information?
Is there a simpler way to do what I want?

Thank you
Javier