[Mediawiki-l] delete user

Dave Smey autodave at davesmey.com
Mon Jul 9 22:15:31 UTC 2007

Hi all,

Just a note about deleting users.  I have a wiki that was spammed with
about 100 "junk" usernames (made up of random characters), some of which
were then used to vandalize the content.  After a little fruitless effort
with the DeleteUser extension
(http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Deleteuser) I figured out how to
delete them all in MySQL.

Wasn't difficult at all - just copied the userlist into a text file,
weeded out the real usernames (which were in the minority), inserted more
text into each line to make it an SQL command, and executed it all at
once.

This was a situation where I really needed to delete - the junk had
rendered the userlist useless, and none of the spammers had contributed
anything that I wanted to keep.  Haven't seen any ill effects.  And of
course now I've locked down registration to keep the spammers out.