[Mediawiki-l] WikiSysop

Rob Church robchur at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 16:37:22 UTC 2007

On 06/07/07, Shawn Allgeier <allgeier at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm new to wikis in general.  Just got MW up and running on a machine
> running Mac OS 10.4.  When I used the setup script there was a field
> for WikiSysop.  I don't seem to be able to log in using this
> username.  How does one admin a wiki?  There is some high level user
> who has extended powers, right?  I also don't see a way to remove a
> file that has been uploaded?

When you install MediaWiki, you provide two sets of credentials; the
first is the initial administrator/bureaucrat account details, and the
default username for this is "WikiSysop", which you may have changed.
To check this username, visit Special:Listusers on your wiki and look
for the user with "sysop, bureaucrat" permissions.

If you've forgotten the password for this user, then you can use the
maintenance/changePassword.php script to reset it. Once logged in as
this user, you'll be able to use all the administrative functions,
plus manage user rights, etc.

As to the image deletion question; when you are logged in as a sysop,
you'll notice deletion links on image description pages.

Rob Church