[Mediawiki-l] Weird meomory problem

a. cremer albert.cremer at online.de
Tue Jul 3 20:14:48 UTC 2007

I transferred a wiki from Windows XP to SuSe Linux and now I am facing some
unexpected trouble.

First I could not alter the description pages of images above a certain size
(> 1.5M) on LInux.
Later on I found that I could overcome that problem by setting the maximum
image size for description pages to maximum but later on I ran into the next
problem.

Moreover pages with a lot of images could only be displayed after setting
thumb nail size to 180 px in my references.

Every time the error lock came up with
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of XXX bytes exhausted

After setting the memory_limit in php.ini to 20M from 8M I thought the
problem  gone but that was wrong.

When I try to display images with <gallery> or <sgallery> the error is back.

The funny thing is that this kind of error never appeared in the windows
environment.

It is even worse: In the windows environment my reference settings for
maximum size of description pages is 800x600 and I can set thumb nail size
to any size I like without causing problems. And the best is:  memory_limit
is set to 8M.

Is there anything else that could cause that kind of trouble (apache
settings?).

I really appreciate your ideas.

Best regards
Albert Cremer