[Mediawiki-l] Loss of session data, Still!

Scott E. Thile sethile.pipes at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 17:22:24 UTC 2007

Hello again folks,

I'm still fighting a battle with lost session data.

It seems like I'm getting closer--I have my session.save_path in a custom
php.ini file pointing correctly to a directory I have full access too, and I
even see files being written there, but they are empty (0 bytes). The end
result is I'm still not able to edit pages while logged in. Mediawiki
continues to report a loss of the session data. Another php site we have on
the same server space does show session data in it's session file, so I
think it's something with the mediawiki configuration.

The files being written are in the format
"sess_lotsofrandomnumbersandletters" ,  and permissions are set to -re------
(600).  Is that how they should look?

Complete symptoms: I can only edit files if I'm NOT logged in. I can only
upload files if I am logged in. I can only stay logged in while changing
pages if I check the "Remember me on this computer" box while logging in. In
other words, in appears that no session data is being saved on the server,
and/or being retrieved, in spite of the session files being written in the
directory specified.

What else can I be missing that would be causing a continuous loss of
session data?

This is a fresh install of version 1.10.0 running under PHP Version
5.1.0RC1, The Server API is listed as CGI, if I am stating that correctly,
and this is all running on Linux. I'm using a custom php.ini file I can teak
to override the defaults. If it helps to figure out the issue, here is a
link to pi.php file to see the environment:
http://americanpipemakers.info/mediawiki/pi.php

I'm a noob with all this. I love mediawiki, and think it's perfect for my
application, but I obviously need to get this nailed down before I can
launch the project.

Thanks for trying to help,
Scott