[Mediawiki-l] Problem uploading certain files (blank upload form)

Arne Bittig arne.bittig at uni-rostock.de
Tue Jan 23 08:30:49 UTC 2007

Hello everyone,

I am running a wiki for a research project with access restricted to the
participants. So far, it works quite well, but there is a problem with a
file upload.

When trying to upload a certain .ppt file, the data seems to be sent to
the wiki (according to the browser's progress bar), but when it should
be finished, all I (as well as the contributor whose file it actually
is) get is a blank upload form. However, this only occurs when I try
this from home. When I'm at work, i.e. in the same local network as the
server the wiki is on, I get to the file's description page, and the
file is shown correctly in the file list (which it is not in the former
case).

Even more confusingly, uploading different .ppt files (smaller as well
as larger ones) seems to work fine from everywhere, as is the case with
other file types (e.g. pdf). But when I convert the ppt file mentioned
above to pdf (using StarOffice), the result will not be uploaded
correctly either.

I am aware of the advice given at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Uploading_files#I_get_a_Blank_Screen_.28IE.29_and_a_Blank_Upload_Form_.28FireFox.29_after_uploading_an_image,
but it was not helpful in my case.

MediaWiki version is 1.6.7 (I set it up a while ago, and it was hardly
ever used since; futhermore, the server, on which I do not have admin
privileges, has only PHP 4.3.4).
The relevant lines in my LocalSettings.php are
$wgEnableUploads    = true;
$wgUploadPath       = "$wgScriptPath/img_auth.php"; #"prevent not
logged-in users from accessing files
$wgUploadDirectory  = "$IP/files";
$wgCheckFileExtensions = false;
$wgStrictFileExtensions = false;
$wgUploadSizeWarning = 8 * 1024 * 1024;
$wgVerifyMimeType = false;

In the php.ini, memory_limit is 64M. I also tried
$wgMimeDetectorCommand= "file -bi" as described on the page linked
above, but on solaris (afair), the file command seems to work slightly
different, and since $wgVerifyMimeType is false anyway, this should not
have any effect, should it?

Thanks in advance,
Arne