[Mediawiki-l] Upgrading to 1.8.3 vs 1.9

Rob Church robchur at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 20:24:47 UTC 2007

On 22/01/07, Metaspheres <metaspheres at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have noticed some wikis have upgraded to 1.8.3 instead of to 1.9 - is there any specific reason why one may not wish to upgrade to the new branch (slow performance on shared servers, for instance)? Currently I am running 1.8.2. Also, will there be additional fixes to 1.9 within the coming weeks, i.e. should I hold off on upgrading for awhile?

I can't think of any particular reason people would want to hold off,
except for the fact that historically, our .0 releases from 1.5.0
through 1.8.0 have had bugs in. 1.9.0 should start off a new chain of
exceptions; we had a couple release candidates which underwent a lot
of volunteer testing (thanks!) before the main 1.9.0 release, and it's
proven to be pretty stable, so far.

I heard a quiet mutter from our release manager that 1.9.1 might be
coming soon, but that was only a quick thing, and I may well
misremember. Any road, there's no point in holding off upgrading to
1.9.0 now, if only to get the database updates out of the way and make
a quick and painless upgrade to 1.9.1 possible.

Rob Church

More information about the MediaWiki-l mailing list