[Mediawiki-l] Database Deadlock Error

Mr Scsi mrscsi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 16:24:27 UTC 2007

We have just implemented another wiki site internally and the users are very
excited to begin using it.

One problem has reared its head in a classroom training setting. When the
instructor has everyone 'go to page <insert page name>' a few, 2-5 out of
20, will get an error:

Database error

A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the
sfotware. The last attempted database query was:

(SQL query hidden)

from within function "MediaWikiBagOStuff::_doquery". MySQL returned error
"1213: Deadlock found when trying to get lock; try restarting transaction
(hostname)".

I have tried tracking down the problem by turning on debug and dumping to
log file, (I can supply it if needed, but its large). To my untrained eye,
it looked like a problem trying to obtain a lock for a cache/page access
time update to the database. I turned caching off with "$wgMainCacheType =
CACHE_NONE;".

The error changed to a 1205 MySQL error " Lock wait timeout exceeded;" and
seemed to happen more often.

Anyone have any ideas how to cure this? is there a MySQL setting I need to
change?

TIA

Andy