[Mediawiki-l] Wiki sitting behind a corporate firewall issues

David_S_Green at Dell.com David_S_Green at Dell.com
Thu Jan 18 23:05:42 UTC 2007

Rob,

Thanks for getting back to me...here is what I found so far:

Ok, I've verified the curl extension is running. I am using 1.8.3
MediaWiki, and I put $wgHttpProxy = true; into my LocalSetting.php file.

This is the extension I am using:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/GISWiki/RSS

My PHP is extremely weak (I am working on learning it now), so I can't
tell if the feed supports it or not. Would appreciate any additional
guidance you can give.

Thanks!
Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: mediawiki-l-bounces at lists.wikimedia.org
[mailto:mediawiki-l-bounces at lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of Rob Church
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2007 10:07 AM
To: MediaWiki announcements and site admin list
Subject: Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wiki sitting behind a corporate firewall
issues

On 18/01/07, David_S_Green at dell.com <David_S_Green at dell.com> wrote:
> My question was whether there was a way that MediaWiki (or the
> extenstion, etc) to use the proxy server? So is there a way to have
the
> RSS feed go "hey this is an external request, go through the proxy".

Yes, at least assuming

* You've got the curl extension installed (it's available and simple
to install for Windows, Unix and Linux, so no real excuse)
* You're running a fairly recent version of MediaWiki
* The RSS feed uses the MediaWiki-provided methods for getting the
data, which it quite possibly doesn't

If all the above are satisfied, then setting $wgHttpProxy in
LocalSettings.php should be adequate.

Note: We don't support proxy authentication at present. This seems
like a sensible enough thing to add, and isn't exactly difficult.

Rob Church