[Mediawiki-l] Updating and moving at the same time; do the at the same time, or separately?

Ken McDonald ken at pixologic.com
Thu Jan 18 19:07:22 UTC 2007

We'll be moving a 1.6.3 wiki to a new database. We also need to update
to 1.9, as the new server runs only php 5. The documentation I've seen
deals with either copying a wiki (unchanged) to a new server, or with
upgrading in-place. Given our scenario, I'm wondering if it would be
better to do both at the same time.

In particular, if I do a mysqldump of the old wiki, will that import OK
into the 1.9 wiki? Or has the db table structure changed enough to
prevent this? And if so, is there an easy way around it?

Copying images should be easy enough (I'm guessing here that the image
data directory structure won't need to be changed in the new wiki), and
likewise I think that transferring the mods to PHP files from old to new
should be OK. Skins I'll worry about when we get to that point. Right
now, I'm mostly concerned about getting the db transferred.

Also, is there anywhere that lists all of the new features that have
been added from version to version? I know most projects have a 'version
history' page, but I haven't stumbled across it in my Google searches yet...

Thanks,
Ken