[Mediawiki-l] In Other Languages

Rolf Lampa rolf.lampa at rilnet.com
Fri Jan 12 23:09:38 UTC 2007

Just a little clarification:

Rolf Lampa wrote:
> Frederich, Eric P21322 wrote:
>
> <big snip>
>
>> In that case links within German pages would have to do stuff
>> like this [[Microsoft Word de|Microsoft Word]].
>> With a namespace I'm guessing they'd just have to do [[de:Microsoft
>> Word]]...is that correct?

Yes.

What I should have been clearer about below was that you can of course
combine the two and use the [[de:title]]-link syntax, but then also
define the interwiki to add the suffix (instead of the user having to do
BOTH, namely defining both the language directive, [[de:   ]], AND the
language code again at the end of the title ( [[:de:title de]] ).

For this reason I suggested that the interwiki mechanism could insert
the last "de" for you (see the trailing /"$1 de" below, with or without
the underscore):

> You can of course (technically) do without the de-namespace and instead
> define the interwiki link to produce suffixes instead:

> | de | http://www.example.com/wiki/index.php/$1_de | 1 | 0 |
>

> But this solution wouldn't give the user the *option* of "turning off"
> search from one (or more) languages. I think the Namespace solution
> would be preferable if one plans to integrate the languages in the same
> wiki (since it makes languages searchable optionally), but that's only
> my opinion.

But as said, I still vote for the Namespace solution.  =)

Regards,

// Rolf Lampa