[Mediawiki-l] External authentication and RSS.

Lane, Ryan Ryan.Lane at ocean.navo.navy.mil
Thu Jan 11 15:25:43 UTC 2007

>       Hi,
>
>       New list member here.  Been using MediaWiki for a while
> now.  If this isn't the list to ask this would someone please
> direct me to the proper list?  Thank you.

Welcome. This is probably the correct list for this type of question.

>       First, is there any way to use an external user
> authentication system in MediaWiki.  In our case the linux
> authentication controled by /etc/nsswitch.conf.

Take a look at: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/PwAuthPlugin

The tool it uses supports PAM authentication. I don't know if the plugin
will work exactly how you need without modification, but it is the
closest thing I can find for that. It uses a tool from here:
http://www.unixpapa.com/pwauth/

>       Second, is there any way to have an RSS feed either in
> to or out of MediaWiki?  I'm thinking of watchlist info for
> example out going or a CNN feed incoming?

MediaWiki has a decent amount of RSS support built in, but if you need
more, there are a few RSS extensions here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:MediaWiki_extensions

Also check here (extension pages are moving from meta to mediawiki.org):
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Extensions

V/r,

Ryan Lane