[Mediawiki-l] Template title case-sensitivity: bug or feature?

Jeff Lane jeffl at valvesoftware.com
Wed Jan 10 00:59:43 UTC 2007

We're working on upgrading our 1.4.12 wiki to 1.9.0.

One thing I discovered is that template usages in 1.8.2 and 1.9.0 now
require correctly matching title case. This was not the case in 1.4.12.

i.e. For Template:NavBar, pages that worked previously with {{Navbar}} in
the wikitext are now broken links. Switching it to {{NavBar}} fixes the
inclusion.

My first question, is this a bug or a feature? You can't safely have
Template:NavBar and Template:Navbar in the same wiki database anyway,
correct?

Unfortunately we now have a large number (over 1,000) of broken template
links in our site if we upgrade. One possible solution is to use redirects
from the improperly capitalized templates to the correct ones, which could
probably be done mostly with a XML import. Any issues with that solution?