[Mediawiki-l] Corporate Intranets: Our uses....

khuffman at NGS.ORG khuffman at NGS.ORG
Tue Jan 9 17:39:03 UTC 2007

We have four MediaWikis installed/integrated with National Geographic's
corporate intranet:

1) LIS Wiki:  We are using our main wiki -- Libraries & Information
Services Wiki -- is being used for multiple solutions:
dictionary/encylopedia functions like acronym list and records
classification descriptinos; team sites; project management/status
reports; Libraries staffs' resumes; quick reference guides; educational
content; and fun stuff like favorite books and movies. We are testing out
for our research guides as well.

2) Women Explorers Wiki: A wiki of over 200 women explorers with
bibliographic information for our internal researchers.

3) National Geographic Magazine Wiki: Project collaboration on special
issues for an NGM team.

4) National Geographic Channel International Standards & Practices Wiki: A
wiki being used in three ways -- to share production standards catalog to
external producers/production groups; for international staff that need
information about other offices; and for internal staff.

I've integrated several extensions that people really like: RSS, Calendar,
and Input Box. Currently using MediaWiki 1.8.2.

I've also installed a wiki for my professional association that you could
see but it's in the early stages (www.slakm.org).

I gave numerous presentations last year:  Special Libraries Association
annual conference, University of Maryland and Catholic University library
programs, DTIC @ Fort Belvoir (VA), World Bank, National Gallery of Art,
etc.

This year, I'm already lined up to speak at the following places/venues:
International Monetary Fund (February), National Institutes of Health for
a Wiki Fair, Computers in Libraries (March), Catholic University (for a
Library Technology class), Public Library in Arlington (VA), Special
Libraries Association annual conference (teaching a class on wikis as well
as speaking about building communities which will include wikis), etc.

Hope this helps. Karen