[Mediawiki-l] Access restrictions

Ittay Dror ittayd at qlusters.com
Mon Jan 8 20:16:37 UTC 2007

Robin Faichney wrote:
> Hope this isn't off-topic here.
>
> I prefer playing with things to reading documentation, but I can't
> play with mediawiki just now for reasons given in another thread, so
> I've been looking at the docs and it seems it might be difficult to
> get it to do what I want.
>
> That is: have a site a bit like a blog, in that anonymous users can
> read anything, people can comment on articles (ie add to talk pages)
> -- though maybe requiring registration/login -- but nobody can edit
> articles except the owner. I found the Preventing Access page on Meta
> but that doesn't seem to cover my case. I'm willing to copy hacks
> that others have developed and tested but not to do experimental
> hacking myself. Do I need to look elsewhere for this functionality?

check the talkright extension.

also, i posted code that lets users easily post comments (instead of editing the discussion page). search for the 'discussions questions' thread

to add a form to the page itself, i changed skins/Monobook.php. add the following just before the </div> that is before the <div id="column-one">:
                Comment on this page:
                <form name="commentForm" method="post" action="/mediawiki/index.php/Special:Postcomment">
                        <input name="target" value="<?php $this->text('title') ?>" type="hidden"/>
                        <textarea tabindex="3" rows="5" cols="25" name="comment"></textarea>
                        <input tabindex="4" name="do" value="Post" class="btn" type="submit"/>
                </form>

and in skins/monobook/main.css add the style you want mine is:
#post-comment {
        margin: 2.8em 0 0 12.2em;
        padding: 1em 1em 1.5em 1em;
        background: white;