[Mediawiki-l] WYSIWYG/M for MediaWiki: state of the art?

Frederik Dohr FDG001 at gmx.net
Fri Jan 5 11:50:01 UTC 2007

Hello everyone,

While trying to introduce a wiki system for our project team, I've realized that having a WYSIWYG - or WYSIWYM - extension would be a great help in getting people to actively contribute (even though I personally prefer the "raw code" approach).

After doing some research (including the semi-philosophical pros & cons of WYSIWYG in general), it seems to me that FCKeditor is currently the only viable option for this.
However, due to the fact that FCKeditor creates raw HTML instead of wiki syntax, I'm afraid that its implementation might lead to complications down the line.

Could anyone give me a brief heads-up of the current "state of the art"; are there any MW-"native" WYSIWYG editors in the works? Can we expect to see WYSIWYG-functionality in MW anytime soon - or is it very low on the priority list?

Even though I'd prefer to stick to MW, I feel compelled to look into the possiblities of MoinMoin due to its native WYSIWYG support. (N.B.: I don't intend to start a MediaWiki vs. MoinMoin flamewar here!)

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Frederik