[Mediawiki-l] Two bugs are bugging me

Michael Daly mikedaly at magma.ca
Tue Feb 27 20:22:51 UTC 2007

I've got two bugs that are preventing me from moving the latest release
of my wiki into production.  Neither were a problem with the existing
version, but the new is upgraded.

Old:  MW 1.6.3, Apache 2.0,   PHP 5.1.2, MySQL 5.0.15, Win XP SP2
New:  MW 1.9.1, Apache 2.2.4, PHP 5.2,   MySQL 5.0.27, Win XP SP2

**Bug one:

PHP keeps getting allocation errors. E.g.:

   PHP Fatal error:  Out of memory (allocated 8126464) (tried to allocate
   1572864 bytes)

I set memory_limit = 512M.  This error originates from several different
php files; no single program seems to be at fault. According to the PHP
bug list, such a bug was fixed with the Feb 8 2007 PHP release.
However, that's the release I'm using.

Anyone know of this problem and/or of a fix?

**Bug two:

Apache keeps kicking out an error like:

   The given path misformatted or contained invalid characters: Cannot
   map GET /index.php/Special:Search?search=gps&fulltext=Search HTTP/1.1
   to file

In every instance, the path contains a colon (:) as in the above
"Special:Search" (or Talk:Main_Page etc).

Nonetheless, the page displays correctly.  I understand that on Windows,
there's a problem with a colon in the path.  This seems to get kicked
out at an intermediate stage in the URL rewrite processing.  Any idea on
how to get rid of this message?

Mike