[Mediawiki-l] wgShowExceptionDetails not working

Fernando Correia fernandoacorreia at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 17:03:16 UTC 2007

I was diagnosing a problem where the wiki as showing an error page and
suggesting to put "$wgShowExceptionDetails = true;" on
LocalSettings.php to see the error message.

I did this, and saved, and repeated several times, reloading and so
on, but to no effect. The message just said "Internal error" and that
I should use "$wgShowExceptionDetails = true;".

After much debugging and using log files I traced the error to this
line in User.php:

throw new PasswordError( wfMsg( 'password-change-forbidden' ) );

I'm not asking for help about the exception, because it was easy to
figure out after I traced it to this line. But I'd like to know if
there was something more I should have done to see the actual
exception message.

That can save me some time when such a thing happens again...

Thanks!