[Mediawiki-l] Upgrading PHP5.1 to PHP5.2 breaks MediaWiki's older than v.1.9.1

Roger Chrisman roger at rogerchrisman.com
Thu Feb 22 05:32:46 UTC 2007

Just a tip about how to ride out a PHP5.1 to PHP5.2 upgrade on your
server.

The recent upgrade of PHP5.1 to PHP5.2 on my server caused trouble for
my MediaWiki 1.8.2 (and might effect any MediaWiki version older than
1.9.1).

I got my MediaWiki working again like this:

* I upgraded to MediaWiki version 1.9.2 (most recent version when I did
this; 1.9.3 has since been released)

* I also had to uncomment the following line in MediaWiki's
LocalSettings.php to keep it running okay in this upgraded environment:

  ini_set( 'memory_limit', '20M' );

Not sure why that became necessary but it did.

My MediaWiki runs on a commercial virtual web hosting account at
Dathorn.com. I moved it there to escape Dreamhost.com's oversold
virtual web hosting servers. I don't like the cPanel environment I'm
stuck in now but the server does seem to be snappy. So far so good.

http://wikigogy.org/Special:Version

--
Roger Chrisman  :-)          http://Wikigogy.org    -     free resources
                 for teachers of English as a second or foreign language