[Mediawiki-l] Turning on debugging messages in MediaWiki

Lisa Ridley lhridley at theridleys.org
Wed Feb 21 10:23:37 UTC 2007

Rob and Brion:

That's exactly what I need.
Thanks so much for hour help with this!  I really appreciate it :)

Lisa

Included message below:
Message: 1
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 20:13:28 +0000
From: "Rob Church" <robchur at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Mediawiki-l] Turning on debugging messages in MediaWiki
To: "MediaWiki announcements and site admin list"
	<mediawiki-l at lists.wikimedia.org>

On 20/02/07, Lisa Ridley <lhridley at theridleys.org> wrote:

> > I'm a long-time user of MediaWiki software, and recently ventured into
> > writing extensions and code modifications.  I noticed when perusing the
> > code files that there are a number of debugging messages scattered
> > throughout with phrases calling wfDebug.  It appears that these messages
> > are turned off in the production releases of MediaWiki.

These cause writes to the various debug logs; another one to look out
for is wfDebugLogFile, which directs debugging output to a specific
log group.

See $wgDebugLogFile and $wgDebugLogGroups (both commented in
includes/DefaultSettings.php) for further details.

Rob Church

------------------------------

Message: 2
> > I'm a long-time user of MediaWiki software, and recently ventured into
> > writing extensions and code modifications.  I noticed when perusing the
> > code files that there are a number of debugging messages scattered
> > throughout with phrases calling wfDebug.  It appears that these messages
> > are turned off in the production releases of MediaWiki.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me where the "switch" resides that will turn on these
> > messages?

Set $wgDebugLogFile to point to a (writable) file; debug messages will
be sent there.

Note that you can also assign messages to individual log files by using
wfDebugLog() instead of wfDebug() and setting up separate files for the
groups you're interested in in $wgDebugLogGroups

- -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com / brion @ wikimedia.org)