[Mediawiki-l] Ability to create multiple wikis through SQL

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Sat Feb 17 18:06:51 UTC 2007

> From: Paul Coghlan <pcoghlan at usa.net>
>
> I am building a large Mediwiki site which will consist of about 40k
> pages,
> all related through location.
>
> The pages are structured/related and I have the source for the wiki
> 'skeleton' or schema and can massage it in Access/Excel/MySQL into any
> required format for an import into Mediawiki.
>
> For example:
>
> Florida
> +Miami
> ++South Beach
> +++Restaurants
> ++++MyRestaurant
> +++Bars
> ++++MyBar
> +++Shopping
> ++++MyShop
> ++North Miami
> +Fort Lauderdale
> +Palm Beach
> Georgia
> +Atlanta
>
> I think you get the idea!

Keep in mind that wikis are non-hierarchical. You can impose a
hierarchy on them via content links, but if the structure you want to
import *assumes* anything hierarchical, you'll have trouble.

It's also a bit confusing that you refer to "a large Mediawiki site"
in one place, and elsewhere to "each wiki." I think you mean "each
page" in the latter case, but if you are really wanting to generate a
number of wiki sites, then it's a different problem. ("Wiki"
generally refers to a site, not a page on that site.)

In the first case, I agree with Kasimir to dump the database to one
plain text file per page, then do a text import. But that will
probably lose the hierarchy information, unless you create it in the
output text. So with a little coding, you could generate a
"breadcrumbs" style hierarchy navigator for each page that would
preserve the hierarchy information on import.

For example, the page for "MyRestaurant" could include the text
"[[Florida]] --> [[Miami]] --> [[South Beach]] --> [[Restaurants]]"
at the top of the page. But this sort of imposed hierarchy may be
difficult to maintain, if you plan to move things often.

:::: I dread success. To have succeeded is to have finished one's
business on earth, like the male spider, who is killed by the female
the moment he has succeeded in his courtship. I like a state of
continual becoming, with a goal in front and not behind. -- George
Bernard Shaw ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.EcoReality.org ::::