[Mediawiki-l] Subpages in image

Daniel Israel dmi1 at hushmail.com
Thu Feb 15 21:28:15 UTC 2007

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 13:05:52 -0700 Platonides
<Platonides at gmail.com> wrote:
>SpecialUpload.php "cleans" the image names. You can remove the
>cleaning of /. However, you will need to tweak it later on the
real
>name (your FS won't like files with a / on its name).
>
>It will probably easier when image names and archive names get
>splitted, and renames allowed. Not to happen early, though.

IIUC, the problem is that for images the filename and the page name
are the same.  When at some point this is changed in the code,
there will be no need to clean image page names to not contain a /.

In that case, I have two options in the meantime, as I see it.

1) I can tweak the name by replacing / with something else.  So
Image:foo/bar.jpg will be stored as Image:foo+bar.jpg.  (Of course
I would need to choose a replacement character that the filesystem
will like, but which won't conflict with other legal page names.)
In that case, I would presumably have to change other parts of the
code so that when a user request Image:foo/bar.jpg mediawiki can
find the file.

2) I can make simply request that users use Image:foo+bar.jpg
instead of subpages, and lose the subpage functionality.

If I planned to translate all the relevant images to subpages some
time in the future, when the code supports it, do you think one of
these two options would be a better one in the meantime?

--
Daniel M. Israel
dmi1 at cornell.edu