[Mediawiki-l] Moderation ?

Frederik Dohr fdg001 at gmx.net
Wed Feb 14 17:54:52 UTC 2007

> I'm quite new to the wiki world and I'm rather worried about spam as it
> seems that anyone can change anything !

That is exactly the wiki principle.

> I could write a long
> presentation page and then someone who doesn't like me could comme along
> and delete everything !

Maybe, but since each modification of a page (or article) is stored in
that page's version history, you can always go back and restore a
version that has been vandalized.

> But I would also like to allow people to add
> this so long as I have read them first... I guess this is how wikipedia
> works isn't it?

Nope; Wikipedia (or wikis in general) sets the moderation AFTER the
publishing, unlike the traditional mode of editorial control BEFORE
publishing something.

> Is it possible to moderate everything that is posted or added to
> mediawiki? So that nothing shows up and no changes are applied unless
> a moderator has given his go ahead?

Try searching MediaWiki.org for an extension like this; it might or
might not exist.

HTH.

-- F.