[Mediawiki-l] dumpBackup database error on MW 1.6.9?

Ken McDonald ken at pixologic.com
Mon Feb 12 00:36:02 UTC 2007

I have two wikis, one using an earlier 1.6 version of MW (1.6.2 or .3 I
think) and the second using 1.6.9. Both are fully functional. However,
"dumpBackup.php --current" works for the first wiki, but not for the
second; the error is

"(Can't contact the database server: Unknown error)".

Both wikis reside in the same directory, and are accessed by the same
root url:   "www.mysite.com/newer/..."    will access the newer wiki,
while   "www.mysite.com/..."   will access the older wiki. This is
controlled by an index.php redirect in the parent directory of the two
wiki directories:

global 'index.php' file:
----------------------
<?php
header( 'Location: http://www.mysite.com/older' ) ;
?>
---------------------
where 'older' is the directory containing the older wiki, the one for
which dumpBackup works. Note that I don't know much PHP myself, I'm
assuming this is where the redirect takes place.

Aside from that, both wikis are configured pretty identically. They use
different databases, but access those databases through the same db user
and db password, and that user has identical permissions on both
databases. Some of the settings in LocalSettings.php controlling which
users/types of users can do on the wikis differ between the two wikis,
but I wouldn't imagine this should affect the database access.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing this would be greatly
appreciated. We'd like to get dumpBackup working as soon as possible to
do a database move.

Thanks,
Ken