[Mediawiki-l] Fwd: Are extensions maintained?

Daniel Israel dmi1 at hushmail.com
Wed Feb 7 17:06:50 UTC 2007

Emufarmers Sangly emufarmers at gmail.com wrote:
>The nice thing about extensions, in comparison to the way
modifications
>work
>for software like phpBB, is that they're pretty easy to remove:
You just
>take a line out of LocalSettings.php, and it's gone.  Of course,
if it's
>something that affects pages in a lasting manner, then it could be
>messy...which extension are you looking at?

Currrently I'm using the gnuplot extension (yes, it's probably
insecure, but it's for use on a private network) which does effect
pages, but a) it's simple enough that it will probably not break,
and if it does I can maintain it, and b) since the gnuplot scripts
are embedded in the page I could always recreate them by hand and
upload them.

I'm also using DynamicPageList, which looks like it's pretty well
integrated, so will probably continue to be supported.  I'll
probably add one or two like that, and maybe one or two of my own
(so I'll have to support them myself anyway).

The real problem is that I realize that DynamicPageList is not
enough for what I need, I have to go to something like Semantic or
Data extension.  Data extension is much lighter weight, and seems
more flexible in terms of versions (my site constrains me to use
older versions of PHP and MySQL), and would be plenty for my
purposes.  Semantic, OTOH, is much more intrusive and might require
some significant hacking to get working on my site.  But it looks
like a long term project which will likely continue to be supported.

--
Daniel M. Israel
dmi1 at cornell.edu