[Mediawiki-l] Upgrading from

Arne Meyer Vedø-Hansen a.m.vedo-hansen at usit.uio.no
Wed Feb 7 07:58:07 UTC 2007

On 02/07/2007 08:36 AM, Thomas, Arjun wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I"ve finally decided to take the bold step of upgrading ( I'm not too comfortable with change :-) ) from 1.6.5 to 1.9.2 . Now for all you folks who've made the transition a couple of questions.
>
> 	Can I just unzip the new files into the same folder of my 1.6.5 keeping the same extenstions , skins and images folders? And modifying the new localsettings file to incorporate the same modifications to the previous one??

Basically, yes.

What I did when I recently updated from 1.5.x to 1.9.1 (yeah, I know;
long overdue) was this:

- Backup everything
- Unpack new files over the existing ones
- Check the release notes to see if any changes were needed in
   LocalSettings.
- Run maintenance/update.php
- Check all vital parts of the wiki to make sure that everything
   was working properly.

Regards,
Arne