[Mediawiki-l] Fwd: Are extensions maintained?

Jim Wilson wilson.jim.r at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 22:56:46 UTC 2007

I don't think there are any hard-and-fast rules about forward
compatibility.  It's an open system, and extensions are "use at your own
risk".

That said, the extensions on mediawiki.org in [[Category:Extensions]] should
use the {{extension}} template.  If they do, they probably have a version(s)
field which lists compatibility.

Look for extensions that either:
A) Have been around for a long time,
B) Are supported in several wiki versions, or
C) Have reputable looking homepages

Also, if it's something that a lot of people use, chances are that it'll be
supported in the future (by the original author or otherwise).  On the other
hand, if it's highly specialized for a particular small niche, you might not
be so lucky.

Hope this helps.

-- Jim R. Wilson