[Mediawiki-l] Some search terms not working (1.6.9)

Rob Church robchur at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 20:10:40 UTC 2007

On 06/02/07, Tom M <admin at pubswiki.co.uk> wrote:
> Some search terms aren't returning pages (in page text matches) despite
> the terms definitely being in the text.  I have tried rebuildall.php -
> anyone have any other ideas?

As a default, the MyISAM full text indexing engine will not bother
with words which are

* less than four characters[1]
* present in the stopword list[2]

The former can be changed; re-configure the software, restart mysqld
and then repair the indexes to actually rebuild them. The latter is a
bit more complicated, since there are also fancy features such as
"automatic stopwords" and other goodies at work, which may frustrate
your efforts.

[1] http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/fulltext-fine-tuning.html
[2] http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/fulltext-stopwords.html,
[1] also useful again