[Mediawiki-l] Problems updating mediawiki from 1.45 to a higher version, deutsche Umlaute are display as question marks

Fernando Carpani - INCO carpani at fing.edu.uy
Thu Feb 1 17:12:35 UTC 2007

Hello.
I have a similar problem.

But I'm a some hours to resolve it !(I hope .... :-) )

My solution is some manual an hard process (at this moment):
0. Backup all. (Wiki instalation and database).
1. Export de wiki pages with the script dumpBackup.php. This script does
not came with 1.4.5, but I modify the 1.8 version and, to me, works fine.
2. Export image and user information tables to csv using mysql.
3. Install a clean wiki 1.9.1 (only with admin user...).
4. Recover de Image directory from de backup in the new wiki image
directory.
5. I write a script for generate extra image info in a file.
6. Generate a sql script for the image table using the file genrated in
step 5 with exported in step 2 . This process needs sort, join and awk
linux commands. (Sorry, I know this things better than php, but I'm
learning... :-) ).
7. Generate a sql script for the user table using the file exported in
step 2.
8. Execute the sql scripts from steps 6 and 7.
9. Import the pages with SpecialImportPages or
maintenance/importBackup.php (or something like this...)

The wiki must be on line !!!!

This is my theory. I tested with a few pages and work..... and in a few
minutes i'll try to import all the wiki.
The scripts are with "pins"... so it can be crash...

I don't know if correct to send the scripts to this list, but if you
want them, mail me.

Good Bye.
Fernando Carpani.