[Mediawiki-l] Ramifications of GNU license

Schneelocke schneelocke at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 22:23:37 UTC 2007

2007/12/30, A R <dobuwiki at gmail.com>:
> 1) Does this mean that my wiki has to have the GNU free documenation license
> on all of its pages?

No. The GNU GPL and the GFDL are very distinct licenses, and the GNU
GPL only applies to the server code, not the contents of your wiki.

> 2) Am I not allowed to make money with content on my site, in terms of
> putting up google adsense advertisements?  (It feels like I can since I've
> seen others make extensions to do this...)

You can add any kind of advertising without problems (license problems, anyway).

> 3) Am I not allowed to make money with content on my site, in terms of
> reprinting it on physical paper and selling copies, for example?  If I don't
> have to use the GNU license, I could reasonably have a policy where all or
> some content users submit becomes my property, right?

You're allowed to do anything you want with the content in your wiki -
as long as you hold the copyright to it or are permitted by the
license the content's licensed under if it's third-party
contributions, of course.

The license MediaWiki itself - the software - is licensed under does
not have any effect whatsoever on the content of your wiki or the
license thereof.

HTH!

--
schnee