[Mediawiki-l] Problem with the TeX installation on my webspace

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Sun Dec 30 20:11:57 UTC 2007

Steve VanSlyck wrote:
> Why don't the publishers of TeX just compile first? Why do *I* always
> have to do the compiling of these programs?!

uhh - I run Debian - it only took installing mediawiki1.7-math to get the extension and all
the dependencies. And yes, they were installed from binary packages.

"apt-get install mediawiki1.7-math" does it..

I think from installing media-wiki, mysql and having math working and configured (it
requires teX) took almost 20 minutes. YMMV

I didn't need to compile anything - just a few configuration deals. I did spend a little
time later writing a script to automatically backup the database.

If you needed to customize something it is only a couple of command lines to build it
anyway.  My hunch is you are using the wrong OS for a server.

Karl Schmidt                         EMail Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.                     WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                    Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                     FAX (785) 841-0434

Misdirection is the key to being a good magician. Magicians tell
you they are doing something while they do something quite
different; much like politicians -- except we can afford magicians.
-KPS