[Mediawiki-l] Server performance: Google is killing MediaWiki

Emufarmers Sangly emufarmers at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 19:08:27 UTC 2007

On Dec 22, 2007 1:30 PM, Agon S. Buchholz <asb at kefk.net> wrote:

> I've tried so far (a) to mimic the setup of the Wikimedia wikis with a
> similar robots.txt,

Oh?  Have you blocked /w/?  How about special pages?

> and (b) to enable file caching in MediaWiki; this
> might have halped a bit, but didn't solve the basic problem (i've to
> stop and restart mysqld every few hours).

I don't see why file caching would really help here.  Other forms of
caching, however, such as eAccelerator or APC bytecode caching, and/or
memcached, could dramatically improve your wiki's ability to handle traffic.

--
Arr, ye emus, http://emufarmers.com