[Mediawiki-l] Collaborative Translation support in MediaWiki

Desilets, Alain Alain.Desilets at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Thu Dec 20 14:38:21 UTC 2007

Hi all,

This is my first post on this mailing list. Dirk Riehle sent me a copy of a recent email on this list (see below), which was talking about adding support for collaborative translation in MediaWiki. I am very interested in this topic and have written a paper about it at WikiSym 2006:

Translation the Wiki Way
* http://iit-iti.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/publications/nrc-48736_e.html

I have also implemented a simple proof of concept prototype of collaborative translation in a wiki environment. You can see a video demo of it here:

http://lizzy.iit.nrc.ca/LizzyHelp/uploads/demo_of_multilingual_LizzyWiki_features.mov

Some of us have also started a project to add this sort of translation support in popular wiki engines, starting with TikiWiki:

Cross Lingual Wiki Engine Project
* http://www.wiki-translation.com/tiki-index.php?page=Cross+Lingual+Wiki+Engine+Project&bl

We would LOVE to have people from the MediaWiki community involved!

Note that this project is hosted on a new wiki community called wiki-translation, which I and some collegues started in November to share ideas and information about translation in the new frontier of massive online collaboration:

Wiki-translation community
* http://www.wiki-translation.com/tiki-index.php

I am also thinking about putting together a workshop on wiki-translation at the WikiSym 2008 which will take place in Porto, Portugal, Sept 8-10, 2008. Again, participation from people in the MediaWiki or WikiMedia community would be great!

I am looking forward with interacting with people on this list who are interested in this topic.

Alain Désilets
National Research Council of Canada

--
Phone: + 1 (650) 215 3459