[Mediawiki-l] Database config

Steve VanSlyck s.vanslyck at spamcop.net
Sun Dec 16 20:31:32 UTC 2007

I find the new wiki install config screen englessly confusing. Here are
some of my questions:

1. For the "Database Config" section, am I providing a NEW username and
password, or suppling a pre-existing one?

2. Does the "Database Config"  username and password have to be the same
as the "Site Config" username and password? Why are "wikidb" and
"wiiuser" prefilled? I ask because using these has never worked for
installs to my local box.

3. When installing to a webserver, not on my local box, how do I know
what to enter in the "Database Host" field?

4. What is the superuser account? How do I know if I need to create one?
Am I providing a NEW username and password for a superuser, or suppling
pre-existing information for a currently existing superuser? Why is
"root" prefilled? I ask because using root has never worked for installs
to my local box.

These instructions just don't help me - I don't know why some things
work and others don't - possibly because I don't know what I'm doing at
all and can't find a tutorial on this information anywhere.