[Mediawiki-l] that awful <ref> syntax

Jim Hu jimhu at tamu.edu
Thu Dec 13 01:54:36 UTC 2007

Using the ProcessCite.php extension on EcoliWiki, we have two ways to
make these more compact:

1. for sources with identifiers, like PubMed IDs, we just use <ref
name='PMID:number' />
2. for others that are reused, we define a page in the wiki to hold
the reference text and use <ref name='LIB:identifier />

on the Reference Library page, the references are arranged as
identifier 1|reference text 1
identifier 3|reference text 2
identifier 4|reference text 3
identifier 5|reference text 4
etc.

identifiers can be anything.  For our purposes, the fact that 90%+
(guessing) of our refs are PMIDs makes this practical (we think). This
probably won't work for Wikipedia, but might work for others.

Jim