[Mediawiki-l] MoinMoin to Mediawiki conversion - state of the hack

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 13:05:31 UTC 2007

Having just set up the very shiny new Mediawiki wikifarm on our
intranet, my boss keeps mentioning that converting the existing
MoinMoin wiki would be *very nice thank you*.

Now then, there are two approaches:

1. Adapt an existing script.

* mm2mw.pl is at http://www.littlejohnconsulting.com/node/18 - this is
what Wikia recommends for people wanting to move a Moin wiki to Wikia.
* moin2media is a Python script done by the Linux Foundation for
in-house use - http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Old_LSB_Wiki .

Has anyone here used either of these? How did they do? Did they pull
in histories? (We can live without histories but we'd rather not.)

2. Roll our own.

* We could adapt one of the above or write a new direct converter from
scratch - a simple if laborious matter of programming.
* Moin includes export to DocBook (of varying quality) and there's a
DocBook to Mediawiki converter (of varying quality). This is likely to
resemble work, however.
* I'm not even going to attempt to keep histories if we do this.

3. Importing the resulting wikitext or XML.

Is there an easy batch-importer?

- d.