[Mediawiki-l] Best full-text search engine?

River Tarnell river at wikimedia.org
Thu Dec 6 12:47:54 UTC 2007

Jim Hu wrote:
> As I understand it, Lucene indexes and stores the indexes into a set
> of index files that are kept in memory or are swapped in as needed and
> does not use the backend database that's running the wiki.
[snip]
> But if Lucene sucks up all your free memory, you could get
> performance problems outside mySQL.

this is not exactly true.  Lucene will cache some of the index in
memory, but it's only a small amount.  you can index a very large wiki
(such as the English Wikipedia) using Lucene without running into memory
problems.

you will need a reasonable amount of disk space to store the index, of
course, and more RAM will allow your OS to cache more of the index files
   itself, which helps performance.

	- river.