[Mediawiki-l] Best full-text search engine?

Dan Bolser dan.bolser at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 10:36:17 UTC 2007

On 06/12/2007, Gabriel Millerd <gmillerd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 5, 2007 9:23 AM, Jonathan Nowacki <jnowacki at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have a mediawiki based resourced that needs a full text search engine.
> > Google will not work as it is not yet a public resource.  Anyone have any
> > recommendations?  This is intended to be used at an academic institution.
> >
>    I use mnoGo. I am sure others are better, but the ability to
> dynamically tune the indexer for my namespaces and separate them
> (additionally separate talk pages), crawl doc/pdfs, provide myself
> with any type of report I want off search terms used (redirections
> authors never thought of), migrate in mailing lists or what have you
> externally, follow interwiki links for a single page, obviously it can
> search as different user/group restrictions and feed that to
> appropriate individual user/group restrictions if you need that sort
> of headache, writing stops into templates and what not is quite handy
> as well. But I am sure all the big guys do this.
>    And the search aint bad either.

Since the thread came up, I would like to ask if any of the current
search engines will fix my current search problem; I have a lot of
transclusion in my wiki, whereby the bulk of many 'resource' pages is
dropped in via a specific 'data' templates. For example;

A 'resource' page,
http://biodatabase.org/index.php/Ensembl

The corresponding 'data' template,
http://biodatabase.org/index.php/Template:NARDatabase:Ensembl

Its somewhat messy, but it is a requirement because of the copyright
status of the source 'data'. So far so good, however, my searches turn
up hits to the underlying data template, and not the corresponding
resource page. For example;

http://biodatabase.org/index.php/Special:Search?search=Wellcome+Trust&fulltext=Search

I thought about hacking the underlying index tables to redirect terms
from the data templates to the resource pages, but I am not sure if
that is the best answer. If I go with Lucene can I fix this problem,
or will it require more hacking?

Thanks for any help, and sorry for the long winded description,

Dan.