[Mediawiki-l] Default Category Sort

Tim Doyle tim at greenscourt.com
Wed Dec 5 17:13:00 UTC 2007

My wiki has many pages located in namespaces other than Main. When viewing
category pages, I would like these pages to be sorted by the name of the
page, excluding the namespace. I know that this can be done by adding
{{PAGENAME}} as the optional sort parameter on the category call, but this
would require me to add this to many categories on thousands of pages, and
also make sure that every category added to these pages in the future is
done properly.

I'm envisioning a parameter that can be added to localsettings to change
this behavior - something like $wgUseNamespaceInCategorySort = false; This
would be set once for the wiki. This should be fairly easy to implement -
just check the variable in the location where the category page is rendered.
Does something like this currently exist? If not, how would I suggest that
it be added?

Thank you!

Tim Doyle