[Mediawiki-l] Collaborative Translation wiki?

Gabriel Millerd gmillerd at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 08:51:24 UTC 2007

On Dec 5, 2007 1:19 AM, Kent S. Larsen II <kent at lusobraz.com> wrote:

> It is trivial to set up a wiki with the text to be translated on one page,
> and the result on another (or on a subpage).
>
> The difficulty comes when the source and result are side by side.

    Pretty cool project!

    I can see why they went with such an ajax heavy page to avoid the
diff/merge of the whole page. Seems like:

1. Writing a Special:MultiXlate page that show a single page with its
various TOC elements side by side.

2. Crafting an ajax <textarea> editor for each TOC element on the
target side that submits changes to the actual language page as
'section' edits.

3. Creating some stock ajax <textarea>'s logic where the TOC elements
don't exist on the missing sides if one of the pages was out of
translation. Likely some heavy coloring indicating this. Though this
might not be needed for translating 'works' since the source side is
always going to be there. But for a translating a normal user
generated content wiki it would be.

4. The 'rate my translation' and '% of work translated' stuff seems
sort of kinky and highly variable depending on the environment and the
documents being translated.

--
Gabriel Millerd