[Mediawiki-l] Login errors

Boris Steipe boris.steipe at utoronto.ca
Sat Dec 1 16:49:17 UTC 2007

You also need to change MediaWiki:Nouserspecified

However: I myself think this is a really bad idea. I remember more
than once failing login on one of the several Wikis I have an account
for, unsuccessfully cycling through my usual passwords until I
finally *read* the error message and noticed I had used the wrong
username. You will probably impact legitimate users more than
dissuading attackers. Security through obscurity is not a sound plan.
If you need additional security against cracking attacks, use a CAPTCHA.

YMMV,
Boris