[Mediawiki-l] Install problems and deleteDefaultMessages.php (Bug 10862)

Jim Hu jimhu at tamu.edu
Mon Aug 27 18:11:15 UTC 2007

On Aug 27, 2007, at 12:39 PM, Brion Vibber wrote:
> <snip>

> 'localhost' is taken as a special case when connecting to MySQL; it
> tries to connect via a local Unix socket file, usually /tmp/mysql.sock
> but sometimes in a different location.
>
> Ideally, your MySQL and PHP installations should agree about the
> location of mysql.sock. :) Otherwise it won't find the socket and
> should
> give you a connection error.
>
> That might be what's happening if PHP is giving different results from
> the mysql command-line client... but that shouldn't change halfway
> through. :(
>
> Can you show the exact error message?

Lost the originals, but after class tonight I'll try to remember to
do another test install and save the output.  Right now I'm
frantically trying to get the class blog to authenticate using the MW
login for the class wiki.

>> A possibly related phenomenon is that sometimes when I'm on my local
>> network, the nameserver doesn't resolve localhost on a brower URL to
>> my machine.  I have to give my machine's specific address instead of
>> localhost.
>
> One possibility here is that your web server isn't listening on the
> loopback interface. localhost nearly always resolves to 127.0.0.1,
> whereas the foo.local address will generally resolve to an actual
> attached network address (possibly self-assigned if you don't have a
> live net going).
>
> Additional confusion can come up if IPv6 is involved. :P :)
Don't think so, but how can I tell if my univ. net is using it?

<snip>

+----------------+-------+-------------------------------------------
+-------------+-------------+-------------+-------------+-------------
+-----------+-------------+---------------+--------------+-----------
+------------+-----------------+------------+------------
+--------------+------------+-----------------------
+------------------+--------------+-----------------
+------------------+----------+------------+-------------
+--------------+---------------+-------------+-----------------+
| Host           | User  | Password
| Select_priv | Insert_priv | Update_priv | Delete_priv | Create_priv
| Drop_priv | Reload_priv | Shutdown_priv | Process_priv | File_priv
| Grant_priv | References_priv | Index_priv | Alter_priv |
Show_db_priv | Super_priv | Create_tmp_table_priv | Lock_tables_priv
| Execute_priv | Repl_slave_priv | Repl_client_priv | ssl_type |
ssl_cipher | x509_issuer | x509_subject | max_questions | max_updates
| max_connections |
+----------------+-------+-------------------------------------------
+-------------+-------------+-------------+-------------+-------------
+-----------+-------------+---------------+--------------+-----------
+------------+-----------------+------------+------------
+--------------+------------+-----------------------
+------------------+--------------+-----------------
+------------------+----------+------------+-------------
+--------------+---------------+-------------+-----------------+
| localhost      | jimhu | password deleted| Y           |
Y           | Y           | Y           | Y           | Y         |
Y           | Y             | Y            | Y         | Y          |
Y               | Y          | Y          | Y            | Y
| Y                     | Y                | Y            |
Y               | Y                |          |
|             |              |             0 |           0
|               0 |
| dimer.tamu.edu | jimhu | password deleted | Y           |
Y           | Y           | Y           | Y           | Y         |
Y           | Y             | Y            | Y         | Y          |
Y               | Y          | Y          | Y            | Y
| Y                     | Y                | Y            |
Y               | Y                |          |
|             |              |             0 |           0
|               0 |
+----------------+-------+-------------------------------------------
+-------------+-------------+-------------+-------------+-------------
+-----------+-------------+---------------+--------------+-----------
+------------+-----------------+------------+------------
+--------------+------------+-----------------------
+------------------+--------------+-----------------
+------------------+----------+------------+-------------
+--------------+---------------+-------------+-----------------+

2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

I wonder if I need to make a copy of myself on host dimer.local.
Again, doesn't explain the error happening so late.

> -- brion vibber (brion @ wikimedia.org)

<snip>
Jim Hu
Associate Professor