[Mediawiki-l] Install problems and deleteDefaultMessages.php (Bug 10862)

Brion Vibber brion at wikimedia.org
Mon Aug 27 17:39:10 UTC 2007

Jim Hu wrote:
> On Aug 27, 2007, at 11:32 AM, Brion Vibber wrote:
>
>> Jim Hu wrote:
>>> I just did my first install of 1.10.1 (most of my wikis are on 1.9.3)
>>> and had MacOSX problems with the installer.  However, my usual fixes
>>> didn't seem to work, and I wound up having to comment out the call to
>>> deleteDefaultMessages.  I added a comment on bugzilla, but the bug
>>> there is about linux and I wasn't sure how to change it to reflect
>>> that I think it affects both linux and OSX.
>>>
>>> In fact, I suspect that the bug is related to any OS where localhost
>>> doesn't work for the apache user via the net installer.
>> Doesn't work in what way?
>
> I'm waving my hands here, so apply large amounts of salt to what
> follows.  In configuring our OSX server hosts, we assign a local
> hostname of machinename.local.  For example, my host dimer is
> dimer.local.  When I'm in the shell, I can connect to localhost, but
> when I connect to mysql via apache, it isn't recognizing localhost.
> It does recognize either dimer.local or dimer.tamu.edu as an allowed
> host for apache to connect to.  Note that this must be happening
> somewhere in the OS.  Even if I have localhost as a hostname for a
> wikiuser record in mysql, it fails to connect via apache, as it does
> when I have wikiuser with host=%

'localhost' is taken as a special case when connecting to MySQL; it
tries to connect via a local Unix socket file, usually /tmp/mysql.sock
but sometimes in a different location.

Ideally, your MySQL and PHP installations should agree about the
location of mysql.sock. :) Otherwise it won't find the socket and should
give you a connection error.

That might be what's happening if PHP is giving different results from
the mysql command-line client... but that shouldn't change halfway
through. :(

Can you show the exact error message?

> A possibly related phenomenon is that sometimes when I'm on my local
> network, the nameserver doesn't resolve localhost on a brower URL to
> my machine.  I have to give my machine's specific address instead of
> localhost.

One possibility here is that your web server isn't listening on the
loopback interface. localhost nearly always resolves to 127.0.0.1,
whereas the foo.local address will generally resolve to an actual
attached network address (possibly self-assigned if you don't have a
live net going).

Additional confusion can come up if IPv6 is involved. :P :)

>>>  My suspicion
>>> is that somewhere in the installation, the installer is hardcoded to
>>> use localhost instead of the host provided by the form...
>> Nope.
>
> Didn't think this was likely.
>
>>> or it is
>>> failing to reset the host from the form.  I'm not sure why this
>>> doesn't fail until deleteDefaultMessages, though.
>> Fails in what way?
>
> That's the step where the installer consistently stopped for me last
> night after many attempts to tweak the wikiuser mysql privileges.  I
> should have saved the web installer output, but it was late and I'm
> trying to get the wiki up for a class that has its first meeting today.
>
> The text put out by the installer included lots of places where it
> was successfully checking that tables exist in the database, which
> indicates to me that it was able to connect to mysql up until
> deleteDefaultMessages.  I can't figure out why it would throw a
> connection error at that step after making it that far.  But I
> noticed that deleteDefaultMessages is creating a "Mediawiki default"
> user to log the deletions.  Could that be causing the problem?   The
> User table was empty at the end of the install.
>
> The other place I'm thinking there could be a problem is with the
> root user.  I put a non-root user (me) with all privileges, including
> grant, instead of root in the superuser field.  Could it be trying to
> use root instead of me?   But I would think that would cause a
> connection error much earlier in the install process.

Hmm, probably ok but it wouldn't hurt to see the available privs.

-- brion vibber (brion @ wikimedia.org)