[Mediawiki-l] $dbr->selectDB

Schneelocke schneelocke at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 15:19:33 UTC 2007

2007/8/26, Jim Hu <jimhu at tamu.edu>:
> I've never actually used the database prefix option provided by the
> installer.  From later messages in the thread, it sounds like people
> use it for different language versions?  I'm not sure I understand
> why one would use it instead of just installing another MW database.
> Does wikipedia use these prefixes? Are there some shared tables that
> don't get prefixed?

For smaller wikis, especially those run by private individuals in
their spare time, the database prefix can be quite useful since many
webhosters will only give you a limited number of databases (possibly
even just one) depending on how much you pay them for your webhosting
package.

(Whether it's a good idea to let different applications all run on the
same database is another question, of course.)

--
schnee