[Mediawiki-l] $dbr->selectDB

Michael Daly michaeldaly at kayakwiki.org
Sun Aug 26 00:27:18 UTC 2007

Rob Church wrote:
> On 25/08/07, Michael Daly <michaeldaly at kayakwiki.org> wrote:
>> But $wgDBprefix should be applied to all tables.  If you have a wiki
>> family sharing MySQL, the only differentiation between each member of
>> the family is the relative value of $wgDBprefix.  Hence the end result is
>
> This statement seems to assume that "wiki families" all exist in the
> same database, which is an odd assumption.

Sorry - maybe I'm confused.

Each wiki family member has a separate catalog entry in MySQL.  All the
tables within each family share the same prefix - which I assume is
$wgDBprefix.  So you can have, say, a table called "en_page" (i.e.
$wgDBprefix = "en_") for an English family member, "fr_page" for a
French family member etc.  Hence the need to have the prefix on the
extension's tables to make them consistent with all the other tables in
the database.  Otherwise the tables would look like:

EnglishWiki
   en_archive
   en_categorylinks
   en_externallinks
   extensiontable
FrenchWiki
   fr_archive
   fr_categorylinks
   fr_externallinks
   extensiontable

I'd prefer the en_ and fr_ in front of extensiontable to be consistent.
  The naming options as per Dan's recent post sound right to me.

If this prefix is a variable other than $wgDBprefix, my apologies.

Mike