[Mediawiki-l] Modifying display of all category pages

Ben Kazez bkazez at mac.com
Thu Aug 23 18:15:46 UTC 2007

Hello,

I'm very new to MediaWiki, so I hope you'll excuse what might be a
basic question. I'd like to have most category pages display as a
paginated list of subcategories, but I want the list to be two levels
deep and displayed according to the categories' sort order with no
letter headings:

Land Tenure
   Landholding
   Central European Landholding
   Sicilian Landholding
   South American Landholding
   Tenant Farming
   Sharecropping
Land Use
(previous 100) (next 100)

For the highest levels of the hierarchy, I'd like only to display two
levels of subcategories.

It looked as though NiceCategoryList2 might help, but it's not
working on MW 1.10.1 (it displays some numbers instead of the
category listing, and plus, I believe this won't replace the default
category page when I use the <ncl> tag, nor will it paginate the
list. Does anyone have suggestions for solving these issues? Do I
need to write my own extension? Or perhaps is this straying too far
from the intended use of categories, in which case I could construct
the hierarchy through simple MW pages (though the lists would still
need to be paginated)?

Ben